Thursday, September 17, 2009

Homesickness

I have been feeling extremely, painfully homesick lately. I really miss all the great things that are back at home. I have a wonderful immediate family and an awesome extended family that lives nearby back home. I love being at Cedarville where I am surrounded by awesome friends that genuinely care, but I still long for home.
My friend Tyler Scott mentioned something yesterday, about longing for heaven. This world is a set-up to make us want more than there is. What happens in this world should make us long for heaven. My words cannot do justice the exact phrase Tyler said, but I tried.
So in my homesickness, I see how much I need to be longing for heaven as I live on this world. I must live with purpose where I am now, but continue to be longing for heaven every step of the way. Its great for me to be longing for home and missing my family, because it shows how much I treasure them in my life. But I can't let that get in the way of where I am now. So this state of "missing home" must go down to the bottom of the list of priorities as I set my mind on honoring God by doing well in my studies. (But I'm still counting down until October 14th -- Fall Break!!) As far as my feelings go (missing home hurts), God satisfies. He speaks in the silence in a still, small voice, waiting for me to draw near to him.
"Don't waste it. Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the max every situation you believe to be in the will of God."
~Jim Elliot

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful thought about longing for heaven feeling like homesickness. John and I have discussed and we both agree that for some reason, our longing for heaven is not that strong yet! (Probably the reason is our immaturity in Christ, our age :-)

    Thanks for the challenging thoughts.
    Love you!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete