Monday, September 7, 2009

Abstract Philosophy

I am puzzled by people who think a meaningful conversation can consist of abstract thoughts that probably will not have any impact in the world. I could never be a philosophy major because of this. I get completely lost when people start talking about abstract things that I don't think relates to anything tangible. I am not a shallow thinker, rather, I quite enjoy deep thinking. In my mind, however, I need to make connections between the deep thoughts and how they apply here and now, or the near future. When the deep thoughts extend beyond these, I get completely lost and start asking myself What are we accomplishing by talking about this? How does this relate to where I am in life? How can this help me later on in life? Is this conversation a waste of time? I think people can sit around and talk about nothing in particular and build their relationship by spending time with each other (not a waste of time). I think "meaningless" conversations can be held with the purpose of amusement (not a waste of time)... which brings me to the thought that perhaps people who talk about abstract philosophical things do it for their own amusement. It's just not for me. I don't enjoy talking about things that do not relate to living life now or in the near future. Is there anything wrong with choosing not to improve my mind in abstract philosophy? This question leads me to a bigger question. What is abstract philosophy good for?

1 comment:

  1. I do think you should try to listen to abstract thinking every now and then, and see the point and figure out the meanings: it doesn't have to be practical to be important.

    However, I know exactly what you mean! On the Myer's Briggs personality scale, you and I are solid Sensors, not iNtuitives (S's, not N's). You and I like the stuff that can be put to work immdiately, while iNtuitives like abstract reasoning.

    Love you sis!

    ReplyDelete